Is your child’s birthday approaching? We’re all home practicing social during the Coronavirus pandemic and wondering how we’re going to celebrate our kids’ birthdays while quarantined. Kids are being faced with such a confusing time for them right now and especially important to focus on their special day. They’re bummed about missing out on seeing their friends and having a party.
Birthday ideas during social distancing can also apply when snowed in or if the birthday child is sick (my son came down with a fever for his first birthday but he was young enough to not understand that we moved his party but I’m sure there are older kids who have faced this before).
Over 15 Ways to Celebrate Birthdays While Home During Corovid-19 Quarantine
- Have friends and family send video birthday messages
- Live Stream singing Happy Birthday on Facebook
- ‘Heart Attack’ their bedroom door – cut out paper hearts and tape them all over their door. You can write messages on the hearts for an extra touch.
- Balloon waterfall – tape a garbage bag full of balloons over their door so that when they open their door the tape will rip and the balloons will fall over them
- Amazon to the rescue – order gifts online (give them plenty of time to arrive)
- Give them a gift card to shop online so that gifts will keep arriving after their birthday
- Limited decorations in the house? Hang a string and attach printed photos of them when they were younger with clothespins
- Have everyone in your house get dressed up in their fanciest clothes for a home-cooked birthday dinner
- Order delivery or curbside pickup from their favorite restaurant
- Family slumber party
- Host a Netflix watch party
- Plan a scavenger hunt around the house for them to hunt for their gift
- Zoom or Google Hangout virtual party
- Bake cupcakes and let everyone decorate their own cupcake. Search your pantry for candy and sprinkles. Order some pre-colored icing (grocery pickup or Amazon delivery) Birthday child gets to pick the best-decorated cupcake.
- Have friends and family make a party caravan and drive past your house. Play music and have them decorate their cars with balloons and signs.
- Hire a yard greeting company or do it your self. Make signs and attach them to sticks so they can be placed all over your lawn.
- Have a ‘yes’ day where you say yes to anything they ask to do (realistic requests only, lol). Dessert for dinner, yes. Everyone camps in the family room, yes.
- Have a ‘room crawl’ where you move from room to room throughout your house for a different activity or course of a meal.
- Bring the birthday adventure home. Were you planning a trip to Disney? Decorate with Disney decor, watch Disney movies and make Disney park copycat recipes. Were you planning a trip to the beach? Fill up a kiddie pool in the yard, everyone wears their suits and make some fun tropical cocktails. Camping trip? set up the tent in the back yard and roast marshmallows over the fire pit or grill (microwave works too)
- Spa day at home – everyone helps to create the ultimate spa day or even you can join in and give each other treatments.
Need more inspiration?
Need a birthday cake?
Have a child graduating this year? high school, 8th grade or kindergarten