When your kids are small is easy to make them feel special on their birthdays – presents, birthday party, balloons, and cake. But as they get older things change.
Especially in the teen years…. it’s more how to avoid the eye roll and really do something that makes them smile.
8 Ways to Make your teen’s birthday special
- Decorate their bedroom door. Streamers, signs or a ‘heart attack’ their door. What’s a ‘heart attack’? It when you cover (‘attack’) the surface with hearts. Super easy and inexpensive to do. Use some bright colored paper and cut out different sized hearts. Make a fun sign or use streamers. Decorate while they’re sleeping for a fun surprise when they wake up.
- Make a special breakfast. Most mornings are quick cereal or a bagel but on birthdays it’s a home-cooked meal. Breakfast favorites. For fun make personalized pancakes in the shape of their age and initial.
- Surprise them with lunch at school. As they get older, most will love this surprise but prefer that you drop it off rather than hang around and join them at the lunch table
- Show up for school pick-up with their favorite drink
- Their choice for dinner. Let the birthday kid decide on the menu for a home-cooked meal or which restaurant for dining out.
- As teens get older, birthday parties phase out other than special years like 16. Instead of a traditional birthday party have your child invite a few friends out for dinner. Let them dine together for the chance really have fun and feel grown-up for the evening.
- Cake – you’re never too old for cake or cupcakes.
- Money – at this age kids want money. But instead of just handing them the cash, make them ‘work’ for it or find a creative way to gift it.
- Balloon Drop – stuff money (different amounts) in each balloon and fill balloons. fill a garbage bag and attach to the ceiling. Release the balloons giving them a time limit to pop the balloons and they get to keep the money they find (be nice and at the end tell them they can keep all the money)
Do you have any ideas we should add to our list?