8th Grade graduation is approaching. Some celebrate with a gift while others do not. Gifts are not required and the decision you decide for your family. For me personally, I see it as a milestone as the high school years are so different than elementary and middle school. We enjoy celebrating milestones for our family – birthdays, graduations, weddings, new babies, new jobs, retirements.
I was a bit stumped at first on gift ideas for 8th grade graduation. I wanted it to be something my son liked but also something that had meaning or that would be useful as he gets older. Something that might not have been a fit for him when he was younger but meets his needs now that he’s a high school student.
So what did I decide on? For 8th grade graduation, I got my an Apple Watch. To me a watch represent responsibility and with a smartwatch, you can track the time, tasks, reminders. Also, as teenagers can typically become lazy and want to spend all their time watching shows or playing video games, I loved that it’s also an activity tracker. It was a win in my son’s eye – he also loves it because he can control his music with it and there are a few games (he better not get in trouble playing games on it during class next year…)
15+ 8th Grade Graduation Gift Ideas
- money – always a win. Cash, gift card or be creative such as gifting a money lei.
- Chromebook or laptop
- upgraded or new phone
- jewelry – simple gold chain, silver cuff bracelet, ring
- engraved keychain
- bedroom refresh – do they still have a twin bed (and they’re 6 ft tall) with train bedsheets? time to upgrade to a more grownup decor and a bed that fits them
- desk – do they have a full-sized desk with an adult-sized chair? Our kids are growing so fast sometimes we don’t notice they’ve also outgrown their furniture.
- nice pen such as a Montblanc ballpoint pen or a calligraphy pen
- leather bound journal
- Google Home or Alexa
- Are your kids taking an interest in a hobby that has the potential for a future career? A great gift would be tools or supplies that they can use for this interest.
- Art supplies for a future artist.
- Do they have an interest in coding? An upgraded computer for a future programmer
- DLSR camera or new lens if they have an interest in photography
- Are they showing an interest in a career in finance? Gift them a few shares of stock
- A new upgrade musical instrument if they play in the band
- family vacation and they choose the destination. I’ve heard some families with multiple kids make it a tradition where the 8th-grade graduate gets to pick the destination for a vacation with mom or dad (without the siblings tagging along).
- Disneyland! or a local theme park or water park. After a year of hard work, the kids deserve time to play!
- A scrapbook of their elementary and middle school years
- School gear for their high school. Many schools have online stores where you can order sweatshirts, hats, and other gear with school logos.
- bike (especially if they’re outgrowing their old one and they will use a bike to get to school)
- gift card for things to do with their friends (movies, Starbucks, etc)
- bouquet of flowers (or a candy bouquet, money bouquet….)
Need some ideas for celebrating the big day? We’ve got lots of tips for 8th Grade Graduation celebrations. This year is limited with the Coronavirus Pandemic and we’ve put together some ideas for celebrating graduation from home.
Will you get your 8th-grade graduates a gift? Do you have a great idea we can add to our list? We’d love to hear from you