As the school year almost comes to a close, that means graduation is fast approaching. Whether it’s your son or daughter, grandchild, a close relative, or family friend this gift guide should be helpful in getting ideas for this really special occasion. A child’s high school graduation is a really special time in their life. A huge milestone after 12 years of school and they’re entering into their independent adult lives.
The end of an era and a new beginning to embrace. You want to find them the perfect gift to congratulate them on graduating and something that will be meaningful and useful once they go off to college. We’ve got you covered with this list of High School Graduation Gifts for college-bound kids.
Gift Guide for the College-Bound High School Graduate
- Money – cash, gift cards. There are so many ways you can get creative with how you gift the money – money leis, money bouquets, money cake, and more (just search on Pinterest for endless ideas)
- College sweatshirt – If they’re college-bound, I”m sure they’re pretty excited about the school they’ve chosen. What better way to show it off by sporting a college sweatshirt. Check out the school’s bookstore to order some gear (many are online).
- Dorm room essentials – laundry supplies, sewing kit, earplugs, hand-held clothing steamer, power strip, bathroom caddy, command-strips, first-aid kit, small toolkit.
- tumbler – Always important to stay hydrated to stay healthy. Good quality tumblers are an investment but worth the quality to keep drinks cold and last for years. Pick one in a favorite color or even with the sports team logo for their chosen college.
- Portable battery backup for cell phones. Great for keeping their electronics going for late-night study sessions. I prefer Anker portable chargers for their reliability. They’re an investment over some of the cheap brands but worth it with their ability to charge devices and keep working (I’ve had to toss so many of those cheap ones). The model I have will charge an iPhone over 5 times or an iPad 2/5 times.
- Snacks – Snacks, snacks, snacks, lots of snacks for them to take to college for late-night study sessions.
- jewelry – Gift your graduate a nice piece of jewelry that they will wear for many years. Go with a classic such as a pendant chain, simple ring, or bracelet. Jewelry works for boys too.
- Wallet – A nice leather wallet makes a nice and appreciated graduation gift. Once their away at school, they’ll have money, cards and ID to carry with them.
- Luggage – A nice luggage set to use to pack their things to go off to college and to use for return trips home
- cell phone –
- noise-canceling headphones – Headphones to block out noises in the dorms or the library while studying
- scrapbook of high school memories – Feeling creative and want to put together a sentimental gift? A scrapbook is the perfect choice. Something they can take with them and flip through when they’re feeling nostalgic.
- cozy blanket
- small appliance for the door room – coffee pot, microwave, or mini-fridge (check regulations to see what’s allowed)