In honor of National Plan for a Vacation Day (January 30th), I wanted to write about why YOU should have a travel bucket list.
Travel More. How many of you have travel more on your New Years resolutions or goals?
I’m a big fan of writing buckets lists.
Summer Bucket List
Every year we write a Summer Bucket List. I’ve found it helps us to have a fabulous summer! If not, we waste away our summer hanging out around the house with the kid watching YouTube and playing on the Xbox. I do, however, think that summer should also include some down-time, being lazy, watching TV and playing videos games – just not ALL summer.
Milestone Birthday Bucket List
I wrote a 40 Things to do Before 40 bucket list and not that I’m mid 40’s (almost 47, eek) I need to get to work on my 50 Things to do before 50.
Why a travel bucket list? Travel needs to be planned ahead of time and having a bucket list helps you to really reach your travel goals when its time to pick your next destination. While I do look forward to our regular trips to San Diego, I crave some new adventures.
How to create your Travel Bucket List?
- Browse a few travel blogs
- Follow a few travel Instagram accounts
- Flip through some travel magazines – Conde Nest Traveler, Travel + Leisure, Wanderlust, Backpacker to name a few
- Sit down with a pad of paper and dream
- If you’re married or have kids include them in the brainstorming process
- Watch the Travel Channel
- Create a Pinterest travel board
Add a variety of destinations. Trips that are far and trips that are close to home – international, domestic, and travel within your own state. Don’t forget about staycations – I’m a huge fan because they’re simple and often a great bargain.
A few luxury trips. Adventure. Roughing it in a tent. Exploring in an RV. Sunny destinations and those that you’ll need to bundle up. Travel by plane, car, boat or train.
Think about who you want to travel with. Trips with your family, significant other (leave those kids at home!) and friends. Don’t forget to include solo travel. ts an incredible experience – empowering, and perfect for soul-searching.
Why planning ahead is so important?
- Travel takes research and planning
- Enough time to make reservations before things book up
- Time to budget and save up enough money for your trip
- Request time off from work or make sure you time is covered
- Booking early saves money
- If you share custody of your child, you may need to adjust your child’s schedule with the other parent
- If you’re taking an adult only trip, you’ll need time to figure out who will watch the kids
- Hire pet and house sitters
- Make sure your passports are up to date. Request Visas if necessary
- Obtain required vaccines
- Shop for clothes for your trip
So, where’s your next trip?