Is your child a big fan of cars? Especially race cars? A race car themed birthday party is fun for your little race fan. Race car decorations, buffet table, and best of all…cupcakes!
Or are you watching Nascar races on TV? Want to make something fun for race day? Cupcakes are perfect for any occasion. Don’t you agree?? Whenever hosting a get-together I like to make themed cupcakes.
Today we’re bringing you a tutorial for some Race Car themed cupcakes. When I had the cake shop, these were very popular for boy’s birthday parties of all ages.
Race cars. What do you think of when you think of race cars, races or Race Day. Racing flags and tires are the first thing that came to mind.
Supplies to make race car cupcakes
- white fondant
- black fondant or black gel color
- gray fondant (mix white and black fondant together)
- black edible marker
- silver luster dust
Tools for making race car cupcakes
- nonstick baking mat
- fondant rolling pin
- square or rectangle cutter (optional)
- ball tool
- food grade paint brush
- fondant smoother (optional)
How to make fondant racing flags cupcake toppers
- Take a portion of white fondant and massage it until it softens and is easy to work with. Roll it out to a thin layer. Use a square or rectangle cutter to cut out the shape. I only have square cutters so I use a knife to cut about 1/3 off to make the square a rectangle. Alternatively, cut the shape using a knife. Let the fondant rectangles partially dry so that they’re stiff enough for the edible marker.
- Roll pieces of the gray fondant into a thin tube and cut into even pieces for the flagpole. Set aside and let them harden.
- Using the black edible marker draw a grid on lines on the white fondant rectangles. Don’t press too hard with the pen. Fill in to create a checkered pattern.
- Using a paintbrush, brush water on flag pool and attach flag. Adjust the flag so it looks as though it’s moving (instead of perfectly flat on the mat). Let it set before placing the topper on the cupcake.
How to make fondant race car tires cupcake toppers
- Soften the black fondant by massaging it. Roll out a thick piece of the black fondant. Cut with a round cutter. Using a ball tool, move in a circular motion while lightly pressing to create a circular indent.
- Roll out a thin piece of gray fondant. Cut with a round cutter so that it will fit in the indent. Add to black tire. Using a ball tool and knife, add markings so that it looks like the wheel rims.
- Place a very small amount of shortening on your fingertip and rub on black part of wheel to add shine. Using a paintbrush, lightly dust the rim with silver luster dust for a metallic look.
Once toppers are made, color your icing and add to piping bags. You can bring in colors with colored cupcake liners and the icing. Coordinate with your favorite Nascar race car driver. Or the birthday child’s favorite colors.