Bacon. Barbacoa. Two of my favorite foods – why not combine them together in a fun and easy recipe perfect for entertaining? Del Real Foods recently opened a recipe contest to food bloggers and I signed up immediately – love a good recipe challenge.
Need a simple appetizer for the Big Game – Bacon Barbacoa Cups
Have you ever cooked bacon in the oven? It’s the ONLY way I do it now – it tastes better!
How to cook bacon in the oven
Cover a baking sheet with foil and lay the bacon slices out individually. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, baking time varies with the thickness of bacon slices. Remove from oven and drain on paper towels. Crumble.
Wonton wrappers make great and easy edible cups for food. Lightly grease a mini muffin pan and insert one wrapper in each muffin cup. Bake until edges start to brown.
The Del Real Barbacoa is already cooked and so easy to heat in the microwave. Shred the meat and mix in the bacon.
Add barbacoa-bacon mixture each cup. Top with salsa and cheese.
Enjoy! Perfect heavy appetizer to serve for entertaining.
1 Package Del Real Barbacoa
6 slices bacon
24 wonton wrappers
1/4 cup Del Rio Fire Roasted Salsa
2 T Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place bacon slices on baking sheet.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Place bacon slices on baking sheet.
- With a pastry brush lightly oil a 24 mini muffin tin. Add one wonton wrapper to each cup. Place bacon and wonton wrappers in the oven. Remove wrappers after 7 minutes, edges should be slightly browned. Bacon should cook approximately 15 minutes. Remove bacon from oven, drain on paper towels and crumble.
- Heat package of Del Real Barbacoa (using instructions on the box). Remove and shred with two forks. Drain excess liquid. Mix in bacon.
- Add barbacoa-bacon mixture to each baked wonton cup. Top with salsa and cheese. Enjoy!