Seems like everyone is baking bread these days and every day, another friend is joining in on the adventure. It’s relatively easy, especially with the price of store-bought bread, another reason to learn. Looking to surprise someone new at the bread-baking adventure with some supplies to get started, we’ve got you covered. Depending on if they are baking yeast dough or sourdough, their needs will vary. Supplies needed are very minimal, but there are many things that make it easier and more fun.
What are the essentials?
What are the extras that make baking bread easier?
What are the more luxurious higher-end tools for baking bread?
This page may contain affiliate links, meaning I receive commissions for purchases made through those links, at no cost to you. Please read my Disclosure for more info. All opinions are our own.
Beginner Bread Baker Gift Guide
- Sourdough Starter Jar – if making sourdough a glass jar is essential for growing and storing the starter. Any jar will work, but these are nice because its easy to measure growth and monitor temperature.
- Brod & Taylor Proofing Oven – A proofing oven is more of a luxury tool for making bread. The oven allows for precise maintenance of the ideal temperature for growing starter and proofing dough.
- Bosch stand mixer – Many doughs are mixed by hand and others are best done with a mixer. The Bosch design is one of the best for home bread bakers.
- digital scale – ingredients can be measured by volume or weight but having a scale will allow a higher level of precision for baking bread.
- dough whisk
- scoring blade
- Bread Banneton
- Silicon bread sling – A silicon bread sling is a great reusable alternative to using parchment when baking bread in Dutch oven.
- Chicago Metallic bread pans
- Le Creuset 5.5 qt Dutch Oven
- Le Creuset Bread Oven – the top brand for enameled cast iron pans has created a bread oven specifically for baking bread. A Dutch oven works great, but the bread oven is the next step up.
- Lodge 4.5 qt Dutch Oven – a great affordable option for an oven-safe Dutch oven for baking bread boules.